Friday 16 October 2015

Character Building

Every morning we start our day off with O'Canada, followed by our Tay Shores Pledge. The pledge goes like this:

I pledge to do my part to make Tay Shores a better place.
I pledge that I will not tease, exlude or harm any member of our school community
and that I will treat all members with respect and compassion.
I pledge that if I see anyone at my school being teased, excluded or harmed,
I will stand up for them and let them know that they are not alone.
I am the change.

This is my favourite part of the day. The pledge is read by a different student, each day, over the announcements and I really love hearing the different voices repeating these important words. I also enjoy hearing students solving problems around the school using these phrases.

Whenever we 'catch' students in our building trying to make our school a better place, we give them a yellow ticket (which earns them House Points and gets them into our weekly prize draw). Over the past two weeks, we have been overwhelmed by the amount of yellow tickets being brought down to our office. Both weeks there were over 100 tickets in the draw, which means that over 20% of our students are being 'caught' doing amazing things around our school to make it fun and safe. And this is just the students that are being caught - I'm quite sure that there are even more students doing equally wonderful things and have just gone under the radar.

What a great school we've got here at Tay Shores PS. It definitely makes me love coming to school when it is filled with such exceptional children!!

No comments:

Post a Comment